Leaving your home
Updated: 19 Aug 2017
Things to do before you leave your Housing Executive home
What must I do once I have decided to move?
- Give us at least 4 weeks notice in writing to end your tenancy
- Provide us with your forwarding address in case we need to contact you in the future
- Remove all your furniture and belongings, and leave the property clean and tidy
- Contact Northern Ireland Electricity and/or Phoenix Gas to tell them you are leaving and arrange to get your meter read.
- If you can leave any instruction leaflets relating to appliances (particularly heating appliances) do so
- Rent is due to the last day of your tenancy. If you are paying by direct debit or standing order, you need to make arrangements to stop them
- If you are in rent arrears, make sure you clear them before the end of your tenancy or make an arrangement to clear them
- Arrange for all your mail to be redirected to your new home
- Return the keys to your District Office, before 12 noon on the last day of your tenancy
What happens during the next four weeks?
The Housing Executive will:
- Arrange a home visit
- Inspect the general condition of the property
- Advise you in writing of any repairs you have to complete
- Allocate your home to a new tenant
- Carry out a final inspection of the property after you move out
- Advise you of any chargeable repair items
- Carry out repairs that are your responsibility
- Remove all furniture and rubbish from the property (Contact your local council if you need help with this)
- Return all keys to your local office
- Contact your electricity and/or gas providers
- Make sure that the kitchen and bathroom are thoroughly cleaned, with all units cleared and any damage to units reported
- Report any damaged tiles
- Make sure all door panels and window panes are intact and report any damages
- Make sure all light fittings are NIHE standard fitting
- Remove any rubbish from the garden and mow the grass
- Remove all furniture and rubbish from the property, including the roof space and shed.
- Leave the wheelie bin at the property
- Return all keys for front, back and store doors