Getting the best deal
Updated: 22 Mar 2017
Switching domestic electricity suppliers
Did you know there are now 6 electricity suppliers in Northern Ireland? To compare tariffs, we provide a list of all domestic electricity tariffs on our website. You may also wish to check out the Consumer Council website.
It’s easy to switch. There is no interruption to your supply. You’re not charged to switch.
You have a 10 day ‘cooling off’ period.
When you are ready to call:
- Have a note of your current tariff (price per unit of electricity) and MPRN (Meter Point Reference Number). Both are on your electricity bill.
- If you have a keypad meter you will need the keypad number which you use to top-up your meter.
- If you are switching check if there are any introductory offers available with the new supplier.
- Find out if they provide any additional services i.e. large print bills?
The name of NI electricity suppliers are listed below.
|Airtricity||Tel 0345 864 3546||www.sseairtricity.com|
|Budget Energy||Tel 0800 0121177||www.budgetenergy.co.uk|
|Click Energy||Tel 0800 107 0732||www.clickenergyni.com|
|Electric Ireland||Tel 0345 600 5335||www.electricireland.com|
|Open Electric||Tel 02895 072800||www.openelectric.co.uk|
|Power NI||Tel 03457 455 455||www.powerni.co.uk|
Please note Northern Ireland Electricity is not an electricity supplier, it owns and maintains the electricity transmission and distribution network (poles, wires and meters) which transports electricity to your home on behalf of your supplier. If your electricity supply goes off you should ring them on Tel 08457 643 643.
Is there an Oil Buying Club near you? These clubs are designed to save householders money by ordering in bulk as part of a group with other members in your area. How it works:-
- Each Club has a co-ordinator, this is the person that you deal directly with when you need to order oil. The co-ordinator contacts members, usually on an agreed day in the month, to enquire if they would like to order oil and how much they need.
- Once the co-ordinator knows the total number of litres required for the club for that month they contact a number of oil suppliers to negotiate the best price for the total order.
- The co-ordinator advises each member the cost for their order and a delivery date so the householder can confirm if they wish to proceed with their order.
- The householder pays the oil supplier directly when the oil is delivered. The Oil Club co-ordinator does not handle payments.
To find out if there is an oil buying club near you or how to set up a club in your area please ring Bryson Energy on Tel 0800 142 2865.
If you are thinking of switching your heating system to natural gas there are 2 suppliers in Northern Ireland.
SSE Airtricity Gas NI supply to all areas in the Great Belfast area, Bangor, North Down, Ards, Lisburn, Newtownabbey, Carrickfergus and Larne. To find out more about Airtricity Gas ring 0345 900 5253 or visit www.airtricitygasni.com
Firmus Energy supply to the Greater Belfast area, Bangor, North Down, Ards, Lisburn, Newtownabbey, Carrickfergus, Larne, Antrim, Armagh, Banbridge, Craigavon, Newry, Ballymena, Ballymoney, Coleraine, Limavady and Londonderry. To find out more about Firmus Energy ring 0800 032 4567 or visit www.firmusenergy.co.uk
Phoenix Natural Gas own the distribution network which is used by gas suppliers referred to above, to transport gas to homes in Larne and the Greater Belfast area which includes Holywood, Dundonald, Bangor, Newtownards, Carryduff and Lisburn. To find out more about Phoenix Natural Gas ring 03454 55 55 55 or visit www.phoenixnaturalgas.com