The HMO registration scheme
Updated: 26 Jun 2017
Since the 1 April 2013 the HMO Registration Scheme covers all areas in Northern Ireland. All HMO properties must now be registered with the Housing Executive and the actual specified date that a property should have been registered by can be checked by clicking on the link below.
New! Online HMO Application, Renewal and Variation Applications
The Housing Executive can now accept online applications for new registrations, renewal of a registration and variation of an existing registration. Please visit this section for more information:
Are any HMOs exempt from registration?
The following HMOs are exempt from registration:
- Residential homes, within the meaning of the Registered Homes (NI) Order 1992
- Children’s homes or community homes within the meaning of the Children (NI) Order 1995
- Boarding schools
- Any building or part of a building which is occupied principally for the purposes of a religious community whose principal occupation is prayer, contemplation, education or the relief of suffering
- Properties owned by the Housing Executive
- Any HMO which is occupied by persons who comprise no more than two families
- Any HMO which is occupied by no more than two persons in addition to the owner (or owners) and members of the family (or families) of owner(s)