Updated: 23 Jul 2017
In Northern Ireland the proportion of older people aged 65 or over is projected to rise from 15.9% to 24.8% over the period to 2041. The sharpest increase will be in the number of people aged 85 or over. Northern Ireland also has high levels of reported disability, particularly in the over 75 age bands.
Our Older People Housing Policy Review Action Plan 2008-10 was developed after consultation on the main housing and housing related issues for older people in Northern Ireland.
- Download the Older People Housing Policy Review Action Plan (2008-2010) ( 757 KB)
- Download the May 2010 update to the Action Plan ( 132 KB)
The Action Plan incorporates the Older People Research Programme. A number of research projects have now completed:
- Analysis of the Future Need And Demand for the Provision of Appropriate Models Of Accommodation and Associated Services for Older People (NIHE, 2011) ( 903 KB)
- Barn Halt Cottages, Carrickfergus - A Study of a Supported Living Scheme (NIHE, 2010) ( 1472 KB)
- Barn Halt Cottages Summary Report ( 458 KB)
- Assessment of the potential for Equity Release for older owner occupiers (Scoping Study) (NIHE, 2010) ( 310 KB)
- Electronic Assistive Technology – supporting Older People within communities (NIHE, 2010) ( 624 KB)
- Home Improvement Agencies/Care and Repair services scoping study ( 93 KB)
- Analysis of the Need and Demand for Retirement Villages in Northern Ireland (NIHE, 2008) ( 1473 KB)
- Strategic Review of Housing and Housing Related Information Needs of Older People (NIHE, 2008) ( 520 KB)
A further two research projects were commissioned in 2011 and are due to complete in 2012:
- The future role of Sheltered Housing in Northern Ireland
- An evaluation of the Two Home Improvement Agencies in Northern Ireland
Further information for older people
The Belfast focussed directory ‘Seniors Info’ contains a range of information and advice for older people and those working with older people around health and wellbeing, housing, learning and leisure, income and benefits, rights and advocacy and support organisations.