Repair Grant

This grant can help landlords who have been served with certain ‘statutory notices’. 

What is a ‘statutory notice’?

A ‘statutory notice’ tells a landlord they must carry out work to improve their property within a certain period of time.

A landlord may be issued one of two statutory notices by the council once the property has been inspected:

  • Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Notice;  or
  • Notice of Disrepair – issued if there is a protected or statutory tenancy under the Rent Order (NI) 1978 in place. 

If your property has been issued with either of these statutory notices you can start the work immediately because the council will only allow a short time for the work to be carried out. 

Work must be carried out to comply with the statutory notice and the grant processed afterward.  When you apply for the grant you should include the invoice for the cost of the work with your application.  We will inspect the property/work before making a payment.

Who can apply for a Repair Grant?

  • Landlords;
  • Agents;
  • Some private tenants; and
  • Owners / landlords of vacant properties.

What types of repairs are covered by the grant?

This grant is for the repair or replacement of existing items, it is not for adding anything new to the property. 

If you wish carry out additional work then you must arrange to pay for this yourself, it will not be grant aided through the Repair Grant.

Will the Housing Executive carry out the work?

The Housing Executive administers the grant aid on behalf of the Department for Communities.  This means it does not arrange for or carry out work. 

It is your responsibility to:

How much grant is available?

The maximum grant available is £7,500 over a period of 3 years.  The amount of grant available does not depend on your income but on:

  • the type of work needed; and
  • the Net Annual Valuation (NAV) of the property (if valued before 2007) where the amount of grant aid is worked out using a percentage calculation based on the NAV.; or
  • If the property was valued after 2007 the grant will be a percentage of the approved cost or the maximum grant whichever is the lesser.

Land and Property Services will give you details of your property’s NAV, if applicable.

For more information on the grant amount you could possibly receive please contact your local grants office.

How is the grant paid?

We are only able to pay the grant aid when:

  • all the work on the property has been completed; and
  • all accounts, receipts and certificates have been sent to us.

Please contact your local Grants Office on 03448 920 900 (textphone 18001 03448 920 900) for more information.

Is this page helpful?
Yes No