Disabled Facilities Grant

With a Disabled Facilities Grant you can have your home adapted if you, or someone who lives with you, have a disability.  

The award of a grant and the work carried out is based on the recommendation(s) of an Occupational Therapist.

Who can apply for Disabled Facilities Grant?

Home owners, landlords and private tenants may qualify for help with adapting a property if you have a person with a disability living in your house.

The work must be recommended by an Occupational Therapist.

What can I use it for?

The grant must be used for adaptation work recommended by your Occupational Therapist and additional work which might be needed to make sure the recommended adaptations are complete. 

Adaptions which may be recommended include:

  • Improving access into the home, to the bathroom, living room or bedroom;
  • Adding extra bathroom or disabled showering facilities;
  • Adapting lighting or heating controls; and / or
  • Upgrading heating system to one operated by a switch.

Your Occupational Therapist will assess your circumstances and recommend the work needed.

How much can I get?

Up to £25,000 is available and the size of the grant awarded will depend on the cost of the work recommended by your Occupational Therapist and your financial circumstances.  In certain circumstances the award may be increased up to a maximum of £50,000.

Will I need to pay anything?

You may have to make a contribution toward the cost of the work.  The amount depends on:

  • your circumstances; 
  • for whom the adaptation is needed; 
  • if you choose to add on work which is not grant-aided; and / or 
  • the work costs more than is allowed through the Housing Executive’s Schedule of Rates for Grant-Aided Work.

Adaptation for an adult

If the work is being completed for use by an adult we will calculate what contribution you will be asked to make, also called a ‘Test of Resources’. 

We will look at the household income - this includes the income of the person for whom the property is being adapted, and their partner, if there is one.  Income includes all earnings from employment (including self-employment), certain benefits, pensions, savings or any other source(s).

Adaptation for a child 

There is no ‘Test of Resources’ carried out if the work is needed for a child for whom Child Benefit is being paid.

More information about Test of Resources or contact your local Grants Office

Can I have other work carried out at the same time?

Yes, you can arrange for your builder to complete work not recommended by an Occupational Therapist but you are responsible the extra cost.  The Housing Executive will not grant aid it. 

You must tell the Housing Executive if you intend to have additional work carried out.

How do I apply?

You cannot apply directly to the Housing Executive.  You must contact the Duty Occupational Therapist at your local Health and Social Services Trust, GP or social worker. They will start the process for you; recommendations must be made by an Occupational Therapist.

Can I get help to process my application?

If you have any questions about making an application for a Disabled Facilities Grant please contact your local Grants Office on 03448 920 900 (textphone 18001 03448 920 900).   Members of our team will be happy to help you at any point of the process.

If you believe you need extra support during the grant application process then you can contact:

How long does it take?

Each case is unique but a number of factors will affect the length of time:

  • the demand for grant aid;
  • the money / budget available;
  • receiving information from your Occupational Therapist; and
  • receiving information from you (income details, architect drawings, builder information).

When will I receive my grant payment?

The grant awarded will only be paid when

  • the work is finished by your builder;
  • it has been confirmed by your Occupational Therapist that the work meets the person’s needs; 
  • the Housing Executive is satisfied the value of the work carried out meets the minimum standard required and the value of the grant aid; and
  • you have sent all accounts, receipts and certificates to the Housing Executive.

We may consider making part / staged payments while work is being carried out.  Please speak to your Technical Officer to see if this might be arranged.

Please note work must not start until you have received the ‘Approval of Application’ from the Housing Executive. 

This approval confirms:

  • how much grant aid you have been awarded;
  • you can start; and
  • the date by which the work must be completed.

Promoting Independent Living

This toolkit was compiled to help with housing adaptations which will make the home of a person with disabilities suitable for his / her needs.


Is this page helpful?
Yes No