Replacement Grant

A replacement grant is only available to those whose home is unfit to live in and repair is not an option.

Replacement Grants are currently being awarded only in the following exceptional circumstances.

The property must be occupied by you as your main, or principal, home and fulfil at least one of the following criteria:

  • awarding of the Replacement Grant is necessary in order to complete a mandatory Disabled Facilities Grant

  • the needed repairs post an 'imminent and significant' health and safety risk that impacts on the occupant(s)

  • the property's structural stability puts the occupant(s) at serious risk 

Who can apply?

To qualify you must be

What type of property is eligible?

The dwelling can be 

  • occupied by the owner, or a member of their family, for a minimum of 12 months; or
  • vacant with the applicant in urgent need of housing. This ‘need’ is assessed under the same criteria as the Housing Selection Scheme and the applicant must have strong social or economic ties to the area.

In both cases, the property must be in a ‘state of disrepair’ and not suitable for renovation, or not be cost effective to renovate.

Can I get a grant for a second home?

No, Replacement Grants are only available for the property you live in, or intend to live in, as your only or main residence.

Must I replace the existing house?

Yes.  However, there may be cases when we decide relocation to a nearby part of the same land holding is preferable and would be most cost effective. 

Can the original house be retained?

The original property must be demolished before the final payment of the grant.  However, an exception may be made on a recommendation from the local council planning service.

How much can I get?

The maximum grant aid per application is £31,500.  This is for a dwelling up to a maximum of 80sq meters

The amount of grant awarded will depend on the cost of the work and your financial circumstances.  You will have to make a contribution toward the cost of the work.

To calculate what contribution you will be asked to make, also called Test of Resources, we will look at the total household income. This will include income for you, your partner, if you have one, as well as any other owner named on the deeds of the property that is living in, or intends to live in, the property.

Total income will include all earnings from employment (including self-employment), income from certain benefits, pensions, savings or any other source(s).

For more information contact your local grants office.

Can I do other work / build a larger property?

Yes, but the costs for this will have to be paid by you and will not be grant aided by us.  Work might include a higher standard finish, a dwelling which is greater than 80sq meters, a garage and/or additional landscaping.

Will the Housing Executive carry out the work?

The Housing Executive administers the grant aid on behalf of the Department for Communities.  This means it does not arrange for or carry out work. 

It is your responsibility to:

I may need help with my application

If you have any questions about making an application for a grant please contact your local Grants Office on 03448 920 900 (textphone 18001 03448 920 900).   Members of our team will be happy to help you at any point of the process.

If you believe you need extra support during the grant application process then you can contact:

How long does it take?

Each case is unique but a number of factors will affect the length of time:

  • the demand for grant aid;
  • the money / budget available; and
  • receiving information from you (eg income details, architect drawings, certificates, builder information).

What are the conditions of the grant?

When you apply for the grant you must:

  • occupy the house as your only or main residence for 5 years; or
  • if you are a landlord, make the house available for letting for 5 years after the work is completed.

The five years starts from the date which the work is signed-off by a Technical Officer. If you break this agreement you may have to repay some, or all, of the grant-aid paid to you.

How is the grant paid?

The grant awarded will only be paid when

  • the work is finished by your builder;
  • work has been approved by building control;
  • it has been inspected by the Housing Executive; and
  • you have sent all accounts, receipts and certificates (including the insurance backed bond which guarantees the work) to the Housing Executive.

We may consider making part / staged payments while work is being carried out.  Please speak to you Technical Officers to see if this might be arranged.

Please note

You must not start any work until you have received the ‘Approval of Application’ from the Housing Executive.

This approval confirms:

  • how much grant aid you have been awarded;
  • you can start; and
  • the date by which the work must be completed.
Is this page helpful?
Yes No