Using registered contractors

Finding a Builder / Contractor

The Housing Executive strongly recommends you use a registered builder / contractor to carry out the work which you have been awarded grant-aid.

Your builder / contractor is also known as a ‘Principal Contractor’

Using a builder/contractor which is registered with a warranted builders’ scheme will help protect you if there is a dispute.  For example, if your builder/contractor goes out of business or fails to complete the work, the scheme who registered the contractor will arrange for the work to be completed and / or can act as a mediator.

Building work

Where the ‘approved cost’ is more than £5,000 you must use a builder / contractor registered with one of the following recognised warranted builders schemes:

Contractors Insurance Guarantee Services (NI) Ltd | T: 028 7032 5980 | E:

The Federation of Master Builders (FMB) | T: 028 9446 0416 | E:

Estimates / Quotes

We recommend that you get estimates / quotes for the work from a number of local builders / contractors.  By doing so you can make sure the work being completed is at the best price possible.

Standard of work

It is your responsibility to ensure you are happy with the standard of work being undertaken by the builder / contractor you choose.  To help you it may be useful to employ an architect, surveyor or other professional to supervise the work for you.  Please note there is no grant-aid available to cover the cost of this service.    

The Housing Executive administers grants on behalf of the Department for Communities and is not responsible for inspecting the standard of your builder’s / contractor’s work.

Electrical work

All electrical must be carried out by a qualified electrical contractor who will provide you with a completion certificate when the work is finished.

Treatment for rising damp and wood rot

You must use a specialist contractor to carry out this work.  They should be able to provide you with a guarantee for at least 15 years.

Replacement Grant

If you have been awarded and received approval for a Replacement Grant you must use a builder who can provide a 10 year guarantee when the work is completed.

The builder must be registered with the following scheme:

Please note

You must not start any work until you have received the ‘Approval of Application’ from the Housing Executive. 

This approval confirms:

  • how much grant aid you have been awarded;
  • you can start; and
  • the date by which the work must be completed.

Additional help

Radius Housing | T: 033 0123 0888 (Staying Put Team)

Gable | T: 028 7188 2147 | E: (operates in Limavady, Derry~Londonderry, Magherafelt, Strabane)

To discuss the service they may be able to provide for your circumstances.

Further information

For more information contact your local grants office T: 03448 920 900 (textphone 18001 03448 920 900).

How long will the whole process take?
Is this page helpful?
Yes No