About Housing Benefit

What is Housing Benefit?

Housing costs for a rented property include rent, rates and service charges. Housing Benefit helps people on a low income who have to pay housing costs for the property they live in. You do not need to be unemployed to get Housing Benefit.

Who can claim Housing Benefit

If you are claiming for the first time, or there has been a break since your last Housing Benefit claim, and you are between 18 years of age and State Pension Credit Age, you may have to  apply for Universal Credit if you need help with your housing costs.

You can claim Housing Benefit if:

  • you had a recent Housing Benefit claim which you wish to resume
  • you are under 18 years of age.
  • you are State Pension Credit Age or older  
  • you have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Housing Executive
  • you live in supported accommodation (including sheltered housing for older people)
  • you are getting Severe Disability Premium as part of a benefit you are claiming

Owner occupiers

If you own the property you live in and need help with your rates only, you can apply to Land & Property Services for help.

Private Landlords

If you would like to find out more about renting your property to someone who receives Housing Benefit, please read the section Private renting.

Advice disclaimer

The information in this section is for general advice only. We recommend that you contact your local Housing Benefit office if you have any queries.....

Housing Benefit entitlement
Is this page helpful?
Yes No